Skip to main content

Health professionals you may meet

If you notice memory loss and would like to speak to your doctor, it’s likely they’ll refer you to several health professionals that specialise in dementia before determining whether you have younger onset dementia.

This is completely normal and no cause for alarm – getting medical input from a range of experts ensures an accurate diagnosis.

Types of dementia specialists

After an initial chat with your doctor about signs or symptoms associated with memory loss, they will consult with other health professionals such as neurologists, neuropsychologists, geriatricians, psychiatrists, old age psychiatrists or neuropsychiatrists to carefully assess your medical condition.

If you are diagnosed with younger onset dementia, they will be there for you to provide immediate care and ongoing support. You can also turn to Dementia Australia for information, resources, and support programs. As Australia’s leading dementia organisation, we’re here to guide you through your diagnosis.

If you have questions or need to chat, you can contact the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500. You can also send the National Dementia Helpline an email or chat online (via webchat).