Skip to main content

Financial issues

Younger onset dementia can lead to financial difficulty. This is because you’ll eventually need to scale back or give up paid employment while potentially juggling your children’s education fees or mortgage repayments. This has considerable financial implications for you and your family.

Before making a decision about ongoing employment or the need to leave the workforce, it’s wise to think about your situation and explore any financial assistance you could be eligible for.

Accessing your superannuation

You may be able to support yourself by unlocking your superannuation. There are certain circumstances that allow you to access funds early – these include compassionate grounds and severe financial hardship.

Your superannuation may even offer additional financial support through insurances, such as terminal illness, and total and permanent disability.

Receiving a disability support pension

You may be eligible for a disability support pension. To find out, you must send Centrelink medical evidence. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • A report from your treating doctor
  • A report from your specialist health practitioner (e.g. neurologist) stating a neurological or cognitive impairment
  • Results from diagnostic tests such as MRIs, axial tomography or CT scans
  • Results from cognitive function assessments.

If your condition is still unclear, Centrelink will contact your treating doctor or the new Centrelink Health Professional Advice Unit to investigate further.

NDIS funding

You also may be eligible for support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). NDIS funding can go towards essential support services to achieve your goals.

Visit Dementia Australia’s web page on the NDIS.