Get government funded support with the NDIS
If you or your loved one has younger onset dementia, you don’t have to go it alone. The Australian Government has support and funding in place to connect you with vital support services that make life easier.
What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a national scheme that provides funding for people under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability. It allows them to access supports and services to help them in their daily life, connect with their community and achieve their goals. People living with younger onset dementia may be eligible to receive this funding.
Younger onset dementia and the NDIS
If you or your loved one has younger onset dementia, the NDIS can give you access to the right support to achieve your goals. It can also take pressure off families, who take on a carer’s role.
Support plans are tailored to meet your needs, but may include:
- Aid around the home, such as building modifications, gardening, cleaning, home maintenance, assistive technologies and specialised equipment
- Assistance with daily activities, such as showering, dressing, preparing meals and managing medication
- Help maintaining social relationships, such as participating in activities and groups of interest
- Access to physical health and wellbeing activities and treatments, such as speech pathology or dietary advice
- Support to coordinate your ongoing services and activities
- Employment assistance to find or maintain paid or voluntary work
- Developing a behavioural support plan, including training for carers
- Help accessing a community activity or holiday
- Your choice of self-management, support from a Plan Manager or the NDIS with the financial management of your NDIS plan.
Watch the following video ‘Younger onset dementia and the NDIS’ to see how this could change your life for the better. Or, read the video transcript.
How to apply for an NDIS plan
Dementia Australia has created a range of online resources to make it easier for you to understand and engage with the NDIS.
Find out more information about the NDIS
Read our help sheets for more information on younger onset dementia and the NDIS.
Use our NDIS access checklist
Our NDIS access checklist provides a step by step guide to applying for NDIS access.
Use our NDIS planning tool
Using our NDIS planning tool, you can prepare for your NDIS planning meeting. This interactive questionnaire may take around 60 minutes to complete. You can save and edit your answers.